All phones have glitches from time to time, and that includes the Apple iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. The more serious problems might require a total factory reset to resolve. Backup your data first! This process will delete ALL data from your phone including apps, contacts, saved documents and settings. Your device will end up as if it was just taken out of the box. Many apps store information remotely, but double check to make sure you don’t lose anything valuable. Follow the steps below to complete a factory reset.
iOS 11 Factory Reset
- Make sure your device is powered on
- Connect your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus to your computer
- Open iTunes
- Power down your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus
- Press and hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously
- Hold these buttons until the screen displays a restore message (about 10s)
- On your computer, iTunes should display a prompt about a problem with this iPhone
- Click on ‘Restore’ and follow the prompts. You may need to download software updates
- This process may take several minutes
- After this your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus is back to factory settings.
- Activate and Setup the device as you would with a brand new phone
Not only will this process fix some of the nastier problems that might plague your device, but it makes the phone like new (in terms of software at least). If you plan to sell or gift a device that you no longer use, it’s ALWAYS advised that you perform a factory reset first. Otherwise, the next owner of the phone will have access to your personal and confidential information.